- If you have a special event or vacation coming up, please keep in mind that you may want to schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance.
- Guest should not schedule any invasive procedures for 2 weeks before or after treatment. These include but are not limited to: Dental cleaning or dental work o Lesion excision or biopsy, Surgery of any kind, Internal device placement, Tattoo or permanent makeup.
- It is recommended to discontinue the use of Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising or bleeding. Please consult with your doctor prior to discontinuing any medications. Further, If you have a cardiovascular history, please check with your doctor prior to stopping use of Aspirin.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours before and after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- If you have a history of cold sores with outbreaks occurring more than 4 times a year, it is recommended that you are pretreated with medication prior to the injection treatments around or near the oral area. The medication will need to be initiated 3 days prior to your treatment visit. Please consult with your primary care physician in obtaining the medication.
- If you develop a cold/flu, cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, we recommend that you please reschedule your appointment until it resolves.
- It is recommended to discontinue topical products such as Tretinoin (Retin-A), Retinols, Retinoids, Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, or any “anti-aging” products. Also AVOID waxing, bleaching, tweezing, or the use of hair removal cream on the area to be treated 3 days before your treatment.
- It is recommended that you wait at least 2 weeks to have dermal filler treatments performed if you have previously had cosmetic treatments with laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or microdermabrasion.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours before (or after) your treatment to avoid extra bruising.
- Do not use Dermal Fillers if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, are allergic to any of its ingredients, or suffer from any neurological disorders.
DAY OF TREATMENT
- Arrive to the office with a “clean face”. Please do not wear makeup.
- To maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied
- You may experience a mild amount of tenderness or a stinging sensation following the treatment
- Bruising and swelling may occur
- Please advise your cosmetic practitioner prior to treatment if you have suffered in the past with cold sores on the skin or lips. This viral infection may be re-activated by some injectable treatments. You are advised to take an anti-viral medication such as Zovirax on the day of your treatment and for several days after your treatment (available for purchase from the clinic prior to your treatment) or L-lysine (available from the chemist or health store) for 2-3 days prior to and a week after your treatment. If cold sores develop after your dermal filler treatment please call the clinic immediately or your GP
POST TREATMENT INSTRUCTIONS
During the first 24–48 hours after treatment you will experience redness, swelling and tenderness in the treated areas. These responses are normal and resolve quickly and spontaneously over the next 2-4 days.
Bruising and Swelling
Bruising at the site of injection is also common and clears completely in 1-10 days. This is temporary and will disappear overtime. Once bruising has formed (within the first 48 hours) it is better to apply warmth to the area to encourage the body’s natural reabsorption of the bruise from the skin. You can use Arnica cream and arnica tablets to help alleviate any bruising.
Swelling and bruising can give the appearance of ‘unevenness’ in the area treated. This will settle once the swelling and bruising has gone. If there is any ‘unevenness’ present after 14 days, please contact the clinic for advice. Occassionally a further ‘correctional’ treatment is required within the first 2-4 weeks after your dermal filler treatment. If you would liike to have further enhancement, it can be done after 1-2 months. NOTE: Any additional dermal filler required will be charged at the usual rate.
After your dermal filler treatment, please avoid the followng:
- Do NOT, touch, press, rub, or manipulate the implanted areas for 6 hours after treatment. This can cause irritation, sores or possible scarring.
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for 3 days after treatment.
- Avoid submerging head under water for a full 24 hours after. This includes pools, beach, bathtub, hot tub, etc.
- Avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days to 1 week after treatment. These items may increase bleeding and bruising.
- Apply ice frequently as required to the area injected for up to 6 hours after the treatment. This willprevent or help to alleviate any bruising. It will also help to reduce any swelling.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, high-sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined carbohydrates, spicy foods and cigarettes 24-48 hours after your treatment. These items may contribute to increased swelling or irritation.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A or similar products (ex. Kinerase, Tazarac) 2 days after treatment to avoid increased irritation or redness.
- Avoid cosmetic treatments such as laser, ultrasound, peels, facials or micro-dermabrasion for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Try to avoid wearing makeup or lipstick until the day after treatment. Earlier use may cause pustules. If you must wear makeup, we recommend a good quality mineral makeup for the face or Aquaphor ointment for the lips.
- Please report to your provider immediately if you have increased pain, swelling, redness, blisters or itching following your treatment.
- Please remember one side may heal faster than the other side.
The day after the procedure, patients can touch and massage the area gently. If the patient begins to notice early nodule formation of the accumulation of product, then they can gently massage the area. Patient should call in to the their health professional if any concerns.
In some treatments there is a small risk that the dermal filler will press on small blood vessels causing a reduced circulation of blood to the skin. This can lead to tissue damage and possibly scarring. If you experience prolonged pain in the area injected and/or a change in skin colour (paleness, white or dusky grey discolouration as opposed to the purplish/red colour of a bruise) within 24 hours after your treatment, please contact your cosmetic practitioner immediately for advice.
Dermal filler treatments gives amazing results. However, it is important to note that due to the subjective nature of these treatments, it is not possible to guarantee results and there are limitations depending on your personal anatomy. As these treatments are non-permanent, the longevity of treatment results may vary between individuals depending on how your body metabolises the product.
After your initial treatment, you will generally be invited to attend a follow-up appointment approximately 2-4 weeks after your treatment. This enables us to assess the result and whether you need more product for correction.