- Drink plenty of water and adhere to a healthy lifestyle for the few weeks before your treatment. The healthier you are, the better your treatment will work.
- Avoid anything that may cause bruising including Vitamin E, Fish oil and excessive fatty acids, aspirin and Neurofen and heavy alcohol intake.
- It’s best to avoid all alcohol and drink plenty of fluids in the week before your PRP.
- During the first 24–48 hours after treatment you will experience redness, swelling and tenderness in the treated areas. These responses are normal and resolve quickly and spontaneously over the next 2-4 days.
- You can apply light water-based or mineral makeup where necessary.
- Dink plenty of cold water for 48 hours after the procedure.
- Bruising at the site of injection is also common and clears completely in 1-10 days.
- Swelling and bruising can give the appearance of ‘unevenness’ in the area treated. This will settle once the swelling and bruising has gone. Please contact the clinic for advice if there is any ‘unevenness’ present after 14 days.
After your Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment you should:
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, hot drinks and spicy food for 24 hours, as these may exacerbate bruising and swelling.
- Avoid medications such as aspirin or nurofen for 1-2 weeks as they are blood thinning agents and may exacerbate bruising (if these medications have been advised by your GP please check with your GP before stopping them)
- Avoid supplements such as multivitamins, fish oils, glucosamine and Vitamin B or Vitamin E, which are blood thinning agents and may exacerbate bruising for 1-2 weeks (if these supplements have been advised by your GP please check with your GP before stopping them)
- Avoid exercise/exertion for 24 hours
- Avoid excess sun exposure or solarium use for 24 hours
- Apply ice frequently as required to the area injected for up to 6 hours after the treatment. This will prevent or help to alleviate any bruising. It will also help to reduce any swelling. You can use Arnica cream and arnica tablets to help alleviate any bruising. NOTE: bruises can last 1-10 days. They are TEMPORARY and will completely disappear over time with no effect on your treatment. Once bruising has formed (within the first 48 hours) it is better to apply warmth to the area to encourage the body’s natural reabsorption of the bruise from the skin. Please advise your cosmetic practitioner prior to treatment if you have suffered in the past with cold sores on the skin or lips. This viral infection may be re-activated by some injectable treatments. You are advised to take an anti-viral medication such as Zovirax on the day of your treatment and for several days after your treatment (available for purchase from the clinic prior to your treatment) or L-lysine (available from the chemist or health store) for 2-3 days prior to and a week after your treatment
You will feel raised ‘bumps’ and raised ‘threads’ on the skin in some areas that have been treated. It is advisable to massage the areas gently with a greasy moisturiser or arnica cream 2-3 x daily for 5-7 days. This will ensure that the booster is spread across the deep layer of the skin to create a sheet of product which will attract water to it and hydrate the deep layer of the skin. DO NOT MASSAGE ANY AREA TREATED WITH PLATELET RICH PLASMA (PRP) IF YOU HAVE ALSO HAD MUSCLE RELAXANTS INJECTED IN THE SAME AREA If you feel that further treatment of an area is required, please contact your cosmetic practitioner for a follow up appointment or advice as to when a further treatment can be carried out.
If you suffer any allergic responses, prolonged generalised symptoms or any lumps/unevenness persists after 14 days, please contact us on [email protected]